Monday, September 10, 2012

Refractory Period

The refractory period of an action potential keeps it from repeating itself over and over again. Of all the things I have read so far, this seems to be one of the more interesting, not only is there the absolute refractory period but also the relative refractory period. The difference between these two is that while the absolute one is short in time, it is impossible to overcome. As for the relative period, this period is longer than the absolute but given enough prodding it can be overcome allowing for the action potential to repeat. One example that I read of in a book is that of a toilet. After you flush the toilet it becomes impossible to flush it again, but if you wait a short time then you can flush the toilet (although with trouble). A good explanation of the refractory period can be seen in the  first six minutes of the video below.


As you can see in the video, at about 2:30, you can see the normal action potential threshold and the raised action potential that can be overcome in the relative refractory period. This was the most interesting part, the fact that our nervous system saw fit to leave a bit of wiggle room just in case there was a need for the action potential to repeat. This makes me wonder how exactly it would benefit an organism, whether it would prevent the organism from feeling pain over and over again, or maybe this helps the nerve cell keep from being used up and dying out.

2 comments:

  1. Initially I was having a bit of a hard time understanding this, but the video you provided and how you described it cleared it up for me a bit better. I like that you provided the toilet example because its simple enough and relatable to most readers. Its amazing how we do in fact have a bit of "wiggle room" as you mentioned towards the end of this post. I myself was wondering what the purpose of this was and came up with a few speculations and ideas that I feel uncertain about. I do want to look more into this when I get the chance.

    Keep up the great blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your blog and I especially liked the part where you brought up that it’s interesting the way our nervous system saw fit to leave a bit of wiggle room. This is so true and it’s something I don’t think most people realize. Our body had been made so perfect, and everything has a reason. I, personally, loved the toilet example the book gave. I thought that was a great way to explain the way refractory periods work and it helped me understand it a lot better. The video is so interesting and also gives a great explanation of what you’re trying to explain in the rest of the blog.

    ReplyDelete