Monday, October 22, 2012

Androgen Insensitivity

Most recently I came across a new disorder, or rather I learned of a disorder known as Androgen Insensitivity (AIS), or testicular feminization. This disorder really stuck out to me for some reason and so I have decided to spread what little information I have gleaned from my research.

As far as I can tell there seven different levels of this disorder, ranging from 1-7 with 7 being complete androgen insensitivity (CAIS) and the rest being partial androgen insensitivity (PAIS). When a person has CAIS they are genetically male but look female, they have all the makings of a female, except they actually have testicles that are inside of them and there is no uterus. A characteristic of a person with CAIS is that they have no or very little pubic hair, seeing as how pubic hair is caused by testosterone, an androgen. Because their cells are insensitive to androgens, like testosterone, their body was unable to develop as it was intended, instead the person will develop breasts and their hips will widen, but menstruation will not occur.

The first video below will give a pretty good explanation of AIS, from what I have seen there is a good majority of AIS people who decide to live their lives as women, although this is not necessarily always the case. In the second video below the speaker reveals that while they outwardly appear to be female, inside they feel and know that they are male.






Unfortunately there are many disorders that can wreak havoc with our lives, AIS is just the tip of the iceberg. The most we can do is support those that suffer from their diagnosis, no matter what it may be, I personally wish the best to everybody going through a rough time. 


2 comments:

  1. This blog was so insightful! I knew what this was but I never really KNEW what it was, if you get me. This blog reminds me of the one I wrote, this must be so traumatizing for her. It’s so crazy to me how things like this can happen to us just by a slight error inside the womb. I can’t imagine being a woman and inside feeling like a man or vice versa. Those videos you put up were so interesting and they taught me a lot of what I didn’t know about this disorder, if you can even call it that. I guess you just call it by its name, androgen insensitivity. Anyway, so interesting and great blog! The person also speaks with a deep voice like a male but looks like a female, so weird. Anyway like you said on your comment on my blog, knowledge would be the only way to combat ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is a very intriguing blog. Before this and the text, I had never heard of this condition. Its really interesting. I want to say that what caught my attention immediately was the last video where the individual is telling their experiences with androgen insensitivity and their thoughts. They seem genuine & for someone who has never heard of the condition and doesn't have any views on it, hearing information from someone with it really gets you thinking. This reminds me of an episode on House where this happened. A male with a female outer appearance. I can only imagine how it must be growing up. What if you accept your outwards appearance growing up and all your life believe you are a girl only to find out you have an undescended testicle and is really male? You would have to give up on the idea of mothering children etc.

    The individual in the video does appear to be an older women. Does that mean you usually don't note the initial signs until puberty? Can you find out you have androgen insensitivity as an infant? child? adolescent?

    All in all, great informative blog post.

    ReplyDelete